Low and behold, just as I started getting adjusted to the idea of not working for another week or so, I got called up to start work immediately full time Monday through Friday 9am-5pm. I also agreed to commit through January--for someone who doesn't like being locked into commitments, this was a big deal and I'm not going to lie I panicked briefly thinking of all that I might miss out on if I'm working so much. At least there will be money coming in consistently to help me find an apartment and to go toward my traveling at the end of the summer (January).
The job isn't as glamorous as the chocolate shop but it's also not as frustrating as calling old people who can't hear well, asking if they'd like to sign up for a hearing screening!:) I'm working for that same call center which is good because the people are really cool and laid back. Basically I'll be answering incoming calls from customers who have a retail clothing store credit card and have questions about their accounts...manageable work I think!
I'm still apartment hunting but no hits thus far. I am also having to change hostels mid-week so I've been trying to make the most of my time here at the Rocks. I hung out on the rooftop with an ecclectic bunch the other night drinking cheap goon (boxed wine). We had Italians, Germans, Swiss, and America all represented and unfortuntely for them I was the only fluent English speaker in the group to help interpret the conversation for everyone else--more of a game of charades than conversation but a good time just the same. They pointed out that when there is a half moon here it's "smiling" because you see the bottom half of the moon as opposed to seeing the right or left side of the moon at home. Also they were very confused by the "flying mice of dracula" seen flying over the Harbour Bridge, which took me awhile to figure out but finally came up with "Bats!" We all felt a sense of accomplishment after we solved that mystery! haha Let's blame the goon shall we?!
I made my way to the World Wildlife Center this weekend and the entire first section you walk through is all of insects that are found around Australia including "common houselhold" ones that are ridiculously big so needless to say I moved through that section quickly and have been a bit paranoid ever since! I did get to see & take pictures of the kangaroos (sleeping), koalas (also sleeping), and one of the largest crocodiles in the world--he was massive! Apparently they never stop growing and live to be about 100 years old--he's already 1/2 a ton and only 40 years old.
Yesterday everyone voted in the big election for their new Prime Minister, but according to the news it was too close to call so they may not know until the end of the week. Citizens are mandated to vote here and are fined if they don't. Not a bad idea if you think of all the money that goes into campaigns encouraging people to get out at vote at home.
Today I've just been enjoying the day and strolled around their weekend market. It's gorgeous outside but still a little chilly. Martina is leaving to go back to the UK tomorrow so we're going to send her off tonight properly....may even go nuts and eat something for dinner other than pizza!--maybe not...we'll see!
Take care!:)
xoxo
Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine. ~Robert C. Gallagher
ReplyDeleteYoung lady, you are just something else with all this! ALREADY showing your prowess as a blogger, are seemingly Conquering another corner of Australia each day, and making many friends and colleagues along the way!! V. Impressed. I am Truly enjoying reading of your adventures and seeing your pics - and what a wonderful 'diary' you will have to remember everything! It seems you are really Living every moment out there ~ and looking Fabulous while doing it! I remain in awe of your adventurous spirit and envious of what is yet to come for you! All good things. Miss you!! ~Brigit
PS - WHO is this?