Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mastering the art of Gift Wrap While Exploring other Options!

My first job in oz---gift wrapping!...lots and lots of giftwrapping! I worked with a really sweet German girl--Sarah. We worked 2 full days wrapping gifts at a local shop in the CBD and are going back again Monday for more! No complaints from me though--happy to have some income! Friday we didn't have to work so I took my RSA class--similar to the bar card class we have to take back home to work in restaurants and serve alcohol.  This course was 9:15-4:00 making for a long day but we learned lots of fun facts about drinking in Australia.  Here are a few: legal blood alcohol level=.05%; bars take ten minute "Time-outs" after midnight and don't serve alcohol to prevent intoxication; drinking age is 18; you don't want to be caught ordering a "middy" (mid-size class) because real beer drinkers order pints or schooners--there you go...consider yourself educated and you saved yourself the 6 hours of sitting in the classroom!:)
Friday night was a pub crawl hosted by our WTC (work & travel company).  We hit 4 bars throughout the course of the night and since my roommate wasn't drinking I would have my beer and then her glass of wine so I definitely made the most of the free evening out! haha We met some great people from all over as well--Sweden, Norway, UK, Spain, New Zealand, and some locals.  Here are pictures from the party bus, a group photo op and then Thomas (from WTC) and I singing a duet at the last bar to the hit song from Grease "Summer Nights"...good times!
Saturday we went down to the Sydney Harbour and saw the Opera House up close. I even got a job offer right there on the steps! Two ladies asked me to take their picture, then started the where are you from and what are you doing here--well one of them said she knew of a restaurant I could work at and gave me the address.  I asked if she had eaten there and enjoyed it and she informed me that she owned it! Right place at the right time I'd say!  Then just around the back of it are these beautiful botanical gardens so we walked around there and enjoyed more beautiful scenery. We went on the Harbour Cruise--great view of the city! We could even see the groups of people who are crazy enough to climb to the very top of the Harbour Bridge! The sun finally came out too so the weather was gorgeous--didn't even need the jacket after walking around a bit!--I know I have no pity from y'all sweating back home but it's been cold and I was happy to see the sunshine! :) We grabbed a bite to eat at Hungry Jacks--same as Burger King and watched some of the street performers.  There are aborigines groups performing as well as people dressed as animals standing very still--quite funny! Do you know they have to have a license to be on the street as well as insurance if they do anything dangerous--like the unicyclist juggling fire. 
This week holds a lot of excitement in store as well! I'm moving into a brand new hostel down at The Rocks which is right off the harbour....goodbye china town, hello view! Hopefully Rebecca and I will find an apartment in a suburb near the beach--checking out Bondi Junction.  Also, more gift wrapping and a job interview with a calling center.  I'll let you know how it all goes!
Take care!:)
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. hey amy.....glad to hear things are going well....mom was happy to hear about your proficiency as a gift wrapper....you will be highly sought after on birthdays and holidays when you return home to the states....we hope you continue to have a wonderful time down under....take care sweetie.....love....Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are meeting people, having fun and learning skills!! Only when you are from Louisiana would you know how to take a bar crawl to the next level:) Miss ya, PDiddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad to see your face! the pics are great! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great pics.......and what fun though I'm trying to picture that crab race :) Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing of your adventures! Im with joe and mary... Gift wrapping is my WORST at christmas so youre hired!!! We miss you and love you bunches. I am going to get a card to call soon. Madeli e sends her kisses!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete