While waiting to check into the hostel on Sunday, I decided to wander around town a bit. I have to admit that what I saw wasn't anything as I had imagined Sydney to be--that's when someone kindly informed me I was in China Town. I grabbed a chicken wrap for lunch and headed back to the hostel and got checked in, still without my luggage.
I met my roommates from Calgary and Italy but was sad to hear they were both checking out within a few hours of my checking in. Spencer, the girl from Calgary, was only 18 years old and had just spent the past 6 months traveling on her own straight out of high school! I was highly impressed. She gave me her hair straightener that she had bought while here and since the outlet is different than those at home she can't use it. I may do more primping as a backbacker than I ever did back home now that I have girly appliances! haha
I did my best to stay up as late as possible but was in bed and fast asleep by 7:30pm. I didn't wake up until 8:30am the next morning. I had orientation on Monday morning for the Work & Travel Company, to which I was late. There were 10 of us in the orientation--3 Danish that will be doing fruitpicking in the outback, 3 from Norway and 1 from Italy who like me will be staying in Sydney to work for a little while and then 2 Americans who are heading to North Australia to do some scuba diving before finding work.
All of the staff at WTC are wonderful and so helpful, not to mention patient! We got our local phones, bank accounts, tax papers, and travel information within a few hours--it was an overwhelming morning to say the least.
When I made it back to the hostel I was excited to not only find that my bag had made it but also that I had 2 new roommates. Rebecca (a.k.a. my new BFF)--from the UK and Eva--from Germany. They are here through the WTC as well so Rebecca and I have decided to try and stick together and maybe find a good deal on an apartment together.Today it's raining out so I'm on the job hunt online...I'll keep you posted how it goes! Oh, and for those of you waiting to hear the lingo...I've started saying "university" for school and "dodgy" for the bad part of town--not there are any mom and dad! No worries!:)
Take care!:)
xoxo
Amy! So happy to see youre alive with luggage. Sounds exciting and wonderful!! Im so glad you have met some people that sound normal and nice! Madeline askee me yesterday for her biiiiiigggg kangaroo. I told her you would be sure to send it! We love you and miss you. Cant wait to hear more of your adventures!! G'day mate ;)
ReplyDeleteway too early to start "picking up the lingo"
ReplyDeleteYour dialect is awesome...keep it.
ryan