Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Job-check, Apartment-check, Continuing to meet interesting characters daily--check!!

New job: Keeping esprit customers satisfied is the task at hand and I'm putting those social work skills to use like never before! Handling shopping crises while remaining calm and putting out fires when rewards points are not credited to one's account is not an easy job, but someone has to do it! I've actually come to enjoy my chats with the customers calling in--that might have something to do with the fact they think I have a "cute american accent!" And if that's not enough, I also have great co-workers who keep me laughing and have become my new local guides to exploring Sydney while I'm here. I can't believe how much there still is to see and do! For example, in October there is a day that the Harbour Bridge is closed down and green turf is rolled out for a limited number of families to picnic on the Bridge! There is online registration and from there a raffle is held for the limited slots. I missed the registration cutoff by 1 day but one of my coworkers said his wife registered and if they're picked I can go with them!--Keeping my fingers crossed because that sounds incredible!
Long-term housing: Yes, I am officially out of the hostels and have unpacked my suitcase! Although living in the hostels was great fun and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting new people from all over the world on a daily basis--it's really nice to unpack my bag and toss out my shower shoes! My friend Sarah from the UK and I found a 2 bedroom apartment in Lindfield--just outside of the city and a 10 minute train ride to work.  Sarah and I are sharing the large master bedroom & we're living with Juni, a girl our age from Indonesia who is in school for accounting. The three of us hit it off from the get go and are finding we have many similar interests such as running, but more importantly we all share the same love of chocolate and wine!  Juni cooked us a fabulous Indonesian meal on our first night in the apartment and I attempted to cook fajitas last night since both girls were working late--I wasn't nearly as successful as Juni but at least it was edible so it's a start! I did make a mean guacamole so we focused on that & cleaned the bowl! We were talking about different foods in each of our countries and I thought it was funny that Juni had heard all about New Orleans food already because she's seen "The Princess and the Frog!" 
We had hoped to take a trip to Manly Beach for my birthday weekend but due to bad weather (no complaints-this is the first bad weather in a month!) we stayed in and watched movies in our pajamas---can't tell you how nice that was!!!--we've learned to appreciate the simple things.  The 3 of us have many of adventures planned for the next few months and I'm looking forward to them all--big and small!:)
And at last, the characters...Everyone I've met has really been a treat and I've made some connections with friends all over the globe.  One of my hostel roomates was actually an aussie from Perth and she is an opera singer.--a tremendous opera singer at that! She convinced me that I couldn't go back home before seeing the West coast beaches because they aren't nearly as crowded as those on the East coast.  She's even offered a place for me to stay so a trip must be planned! One of my most colorful friends from the hostel was actually another aussie--a social worker, Jody, from just south of Sydney--an eccentric social worker, what a rarity! The funny thing is that I guessed her profession without her even telling me...I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not! haha  Jody is 54 years old with purple doc martin boots, gray spiked hair with purple highlights and a visceral love for life! Although she was a little rough around the edges--slurping noodles, pounding beers, and chasing pigeons down the road--she literally ran after them!--she had a kind soul that made her a pleasure to meet and get to know. She also offered me a job if I decide to have my license transferred over. Tempting as that offer was, being that social workers can earn up to six figures, I think I'll stick with my loyal esprit cardholders for the time being.  Last of the characters I'll mention today must be my Irish girls--Samantha, Caroline, and Ann Marie.  I adore them!! These were my roomates the last week of hostel life making it completely worthwhile! Sam & Caroline are actually social care workers in Ireland (we must have radars for one another).  We shared stories, and drinks, and of course meals together and it feels like I've known them for years.  The girls were headed to Melbourne and then back home but Ann Marie is going to stick around awhile longer so we'll share plenty more adventures together before she moves on. 
It's really incredible how our paths can cross for just a moment but leave such lasting impressions, not to mention friendships that (thanks to facebook) can be maintained without much effort! Prior to landing in oz a month ago, I never would have imagined just how many kind, funny, talented, entertaining, and genuinely lovely people that I would meet. What a wonderful world!:)
Hope this finds everyone at home doing well!
Take care!:)
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear all is going so well!! Don't get too cozy... Us social workers here miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is that Esprit - as in Esprit clothing line?? I didn't realize that still existed (but maybe it doesn't). Yeah - and who knew a call center Would be so much fun?! - But I think we must consider the source here too - for you, dear, bring the good times with ya! So glad you have found steady housing and are continuing to enjoy yourself and meet so many awesome people (that Jody kinda sounds like the Susan Allen of Oz, huh?) I would Love hearing all those accents. And SWs making 6 figures?! That might have me rethinking the ol' U.S. by itself! ~ Although that 'Manly' beach you mentioned never getting around to going to, peaked my interest as well. Must get There soon. Stay well :) ~ Brigit

    ReplyDelete