Thursday, December 23, 2010

Summer Holidaze...

That's right...it's summer here. Just picture Santa in shorts on a surfboard and a snowman made of sand & you've got holidays down under!!

As I sit here writing this, it is clear to me why I've been asked to write entries on a more regular basis--I can hardly remember what has happened since the last entry! Time is flying by me! Here goes...I'll do my best!

I'll start with my Thanksgiving in Oz.  The original plan was for me to cook at home for my roommates, but that was quickly ruled out when I remembered that I'm an awful cook! Instead, we decided to include our entire group of traveling friends and enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner at a local Italian restaurant.  We were able to eat outside, enjoy a delicious meal prepared by someone with proper cooking abilities, and drink our BYO wine to our hearts' content. This was the first Thanksgiving for everyone in the group so there were many questions about Thanksgiving songs that we should sing or what we were supposed to do next.  We shared many toasts and lots of laughs, all in all making it a memorable "first" Thanksgiving!
I actually got to celebrate Thanksgiving a second time with an American family I've met through my local church here. They've taken me in and invited me over for many dinners, including their Thanksgiving with friends. They celebrate on the Saturday following since everyone is at work or in school on the actual day. There were about five families, two from the States which now reside here in Australia and the others all locals who enjoy a good meal with good friends! We had a much more traditional meal than my Italian food, and enjoyed a warm day outside while the kids were able to swim!
Although the week was tough to get through being away from family, I was happy to be surrounded by such good friends.  I can honestly say that this year I think I found myself more grateful than ever before for the people in my life both here and of course back home!

My RSA (certification to serve alcohol) has come through for me again, allowing me to attend two incredible concerts, and get paid for doing so! The first concert was Guns N Roses.  This was connected to the Telstra 500 Series (car race) that was also held at Olympic Park earlier in the day.  The show was really unbelievable to say the least--I don't know how old those guys are but they can still rock with the best of them! Following only a few weeks later was the U2 concert headlined by Jay Z! I couldn't believe I was there, actually seeing Bono on stage live! I've still got their songs in my head!--slightly starstruck I think!




We continue to find costume parties or as all my English friends say "fancy dress" parties! We went to a "Christmas Do" pub crawl in Manly Beach for a fundraiser. I've never seen so many santas in all my life! As you can see we tried to cover all of the bases of Christmas themes...the gift, santa, the reindeer, the Christmas tree (though purple), the elf, and the candy cane! This was a massive event and as you can see by the crowd, we were slightly more original than most! haha


A beautiful tradition in Sydney is the Carols and Christmas Lights at St. Mary's Cathedral during days leading up to Christmas. Different groups perform every evening in the church and a light show is projected onto the outside of the cathedral for a few hours each night after the performance.  The church was packed the night we went but we really enjoyed the carols. The St. Mary's Choir was phenominal and the light show was really mesmorizing. 

Most recently, I attended my first ever opera and got to see it in the concert hall of the Sydney Opera House. It was absolutely magical! The opera was "An Australian Christmas Caper" filled with traditional Christmas carols so I was able to follow the story without a problem.  The singers' voices were out of this world and it finally felt a bit like Christmas! We were even introduced to an Aussie original carol "Six White Boomers."  The best story behind this I've been able to find is that since in Australia, Christmas comes in the middle of a very hot summer Santa Claus needs animals who are used to hot weather, so he rides with six white "old men" kangaroos called "Boomers."  The name comes from the booming sound they make as the speed over the dry ground...good stuff! It was enjoyed by all ages and even brought the professional opera singers to hop on stage like a kangaroo! I won't say it was the highlight of the evening, but it was definitely something I won't forget!

For the next month I'm house-sitting for the American family while they've gone home for the holidays, and am taking care of their dog, Jaffa, whom I really love! I've also finally got my travel plans solidified starting mid-January so am looking forward to that and promise to share those adventures with you along the way!

This weekend I'm going to be hosting Christmas dinner with our group for our "orphan backpackers Christmas."  I'll be working on the Sydney Harbour Cruise for NYE and will be right on the harbour so should be in a prime location for festivities! I'll be sure to share the details!

Y'all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Take care! :)
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment